This program is an advanced study program based on expressive writing research, practices, and principles as described in a growing body of literature related to writing and health. After successfully completing the Expressive Writing Facilitator Course, the candidate will be certified to teach Transform Your Health: Write to Healᵀᴹ.
The ideal candidates have professional credentials or experience in healthcare, or a related service field, such as counseling, education, or intensive writing experience as a caregiver.
Minimum requirements are as follows:
1. WWC 9000 - Transform Your Health: Write to Heal
WWC 9100 - Leading Patients in Writing for Health. This is a professional training focusing on the guiding principles and characteristics of affirmative, expressive, poetic, transactional, H.E.A.L ing, mindful, and legacy writing and how they may be applied in a healthcare setting or individually. (Offered once a year at Duke Integrative Medicine, group rates available)
2. WWC 9200 – Expressive Writing Research Project. This is completed individually in the form of a study of studies developed in collaboration with program director.
3. WWC 9300 – Mindful Writing. This 6-week experiential program examines the six As of Mindful Writing; Appreciation, Affection, Affirmation, Awareness, Attention, Acceptance.
4. WWC 9400 - Expressive Writing Practicum. This is a 6-week supervised practice using poetic, affirmative, expressive, transactional, , legacy and mindful writing with individuals or a group.
5. WWC 9500 - Wellness and Writing Workshop Portfolio - The candidate will use materials with prompts and evaluations for three settings and/or clients. Tor example: Rehabilitation Centers, Wellness Centers, Children's Hospitals, Cancer Clinics, At-Risk 6th grade Students, Women's Prisons, Hospice Services, ICU nurses, Retirement Communities, Prisons.
It is recommended for the candidate to complete this certification program within 12 months of their application. Most modules will be completed in six weeks or less. Support, coaching, and mentoring is offered by email or phone or online video chat. This certification course is limited to 6 candidates per cohort.
Fees are due prior to starting the certification program unless other arrangements have been made in advance. The total cost for the Expressive Writing Facilitator Certification Program is $2495 including WWC 9000. If you have already completed WWC 9000 or WWC 9100, your total program cost is $1995. Payment plan options are available.
- Modules will be delivered by email.
- Weekly video chat sessions are required during each module.
- Group communication is encouraged in a Facebook group dedicated to your cohort.
HOW TO APPLY
Before applying for admission to the certification program, a thirty-minute phone interview is recommended. A complete application includes a nonrefundable deposit of $100 USD, a vita, and a personal statement. Please contact us for an application and to set up your interview. .